7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain[a] to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already attained,b]”>[b] or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have c]”>[c]apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
“For those who’ve been in the church for some time you may know Jesus but do you have a relationship with Him? Are you growing to know him more?” – Pastor Billy Johnson
Things You Can Do to Get to Know the Lord Better
Put No Confidence in the Flesh (Phil 3:3-6)
- Paul had multiple reasons to put confidence in the flesh, but admitted he put no confidence in the flesh.
- Don’t think that all your accolades can cause you to know Jesus.
Consider Your Profits Loss (v7)
- Paul considered all his profits as a loss
“What is it that has such a hold on you that you aren’t willing to let it go to know Jesus?” – Pastor Billy Johnson
- Consider profits loss to gain something greater.
Clearly Establish Your Goal (v10)
- Paul wanted to know Christ
“God is as close to you as you want to be.” – Pastor Billy Johnson
- Material things, position, power, etc., those things have a short life span.
Calculate Your Position (v12)
- Know where you are in your pursuit of knowing Jesus.
- God wants to drop something in you that will push you to know Him more.
Count the Cost (v13-14)
- Forget what is behind you (good and bad) and keep moving forward.
- Reach ahead!
“Sometimes we have an idea but it’s not the full picture of what’s ahead.” – Pastor Billy Johnson
- Put time and energy to press toward the goal.
- Lessons about Jesus are learned at different levels in your life. Grow and progress to each level.
“Make sure that it’s your desire to know Jesus.” – Pastor Billy Johnson