A Father must
1) Be Present in the Lives of Your Children
Let’s look at the pattern God set himself:
Hebrews 13:5 – I will never leave you nor forsake you.
There area no conditions placed on this. No matter how good or bad, or where we go, or even what we do, this promise remains.
2) Be An Example For Your Children
Philippians 4:9 (NKJV) – The things which you have learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
“Everything produces after its own kind.” – Pastor Billy Johnson
3) Be a Provider for Your Children
In Proverbs 13:2 we see that “A good man leaves an inheritance for his children’s children.” This implies that he is taking care of his children.
4) Be a Protector of Your Children
Not only physically, but protect their souls. We must guard our children’s hearts.
Proverbs 4:23 – Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.
5) Be Willing To Say No To Your Children
- “No” helps set boundaries in your children’s lives.
- “No” teaches how to deal with delayed gratification.
- “No” reminds that they are not the center of everything.
“No is a complete sentence.” – Dr. D’Ann Johnson
6) Be Willing To Correct Your Children
Hebrews 12:5-7 – and ye have forgotten the exhortation which reasoneth with you as with sons, My son, regard not lightly the chastening of the Lord, Nor faint when thou art reproved of him; For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, And scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. It is for chastening that ye endure; God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father chasteneth not?
7) Be Aware of the Difference Between Punishment and Discipline
“Discipline is training that brings about correction, so that you’ll produce good fruit in your life.” – Pastor Billy Johnson
8) Be a Prayer Warrior On Behalf Of Your Children
- Pray that God will be glorified in their lives
- Pray that they would fulfill God’s purpose for their lives
- Pray for the right people in their lives
- Pray for favor
9) Be Willing To Admit Your Wrong To Your Children
“Jesus is the only perfect one.” – Pastor Billy Johnson
10) Be An Encouragement To Your Children
Matthew 3:17 – Suddenly a voice from came from heaven saying, “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.”
Make sure you praise and encourage your children immediately
–This is my beloved son
Jesus was affirmed as God’s son. We must claim and affirm our children.
–in whom I am well pleased
Like never before, children need their Father’s affirmation: They just want to hear a parent say “I’m proud of you.” We should be proud of their personhood, not their performance. Even Jesus was affirmed, BEFORE, he began his earthly ministry.