True spirituality is not governed by what you wear. True spirituality is based upon relationship. Today we will look at the relationship we have with each other as believers.
- Verse 1 – It is about our relationship with God. After we surrender we will receive God’s power
- Verse 2 – It is about our relationship with the world. In this relationship we must separate. When we separate from the world we get God’s peace.
- Verses 3-8 – It is about our relationship with ourselves. Once we get this we can pursue purpose.
- Verse 9-13 – It is about our relationship with true spirituality and serving in love. We are to not allow our gifting to be a hindrance to serving in love.
You cannot separate verses 1-2 from 9-13. In verse 9 we have to see love without hypocrisy. We have grown up or grown accustomed to lying because we do not want to hurt other people’s feelings. Like an action, they have on a mask and act a different way.
“Let love be without acting.” – Pastor Ferne Sapp
Hypocrisy shows itself in two ways:
- The first is that we put a mask on to hide who we really are.
- We act as something we are not.
True love is truth. God wants us to have a love that is genuine. Genuine love produces objectivity. It can object to evil. Genuine love is objective enough to know what is evil. You cannot stand what is evil when you have real love operating in you.
We sign that we have this love is that we want to spend time together. I have a problem with saints that do not want to spend time with other saints. It’s Phileo love – a brotherly love you genuinely want to help one another. You must have a genuine respect for each other that you would give to them before yourself.
This verse hows how we have a genuine service. Your desire to serve the love should be bubbling over. It should be boiling. You should continuously pray steadfastly. Even when things get worse prayer harder. Prayer may not change the situation but it will change you.
This verse shows genuine practicality. You should pursue hospitality. Remember the man on the Jericho road? He got beat up. When we pursue hospitality, we prevent someone from becoming hurt, injured and we help cure.
“True spiritually presents itself in love. It does not put on masks.” – Pastor Ferne Sapp