No matter if you are new to the faith, or a mature Christian, this sermon series outlines what true spirituality is.
In the book of Romans, Paul outlines the Christian faith.
- Romans 1-3 Paul shows us that we have a problem: sin.
- Romans 4-5 Paul shows us the answer: salvation.
- Romans 6-8 Paul tells how to live your new life in Christ.
- Romans 9-11 Paul says that we live in confidence because God is in control.
Going forward we are going to camp out in Romans 12 to examine what true spirituality is. However, for today we will look at several books to outline the foundation of true spirituality.
True Spirituality Begins With An Accurate Picture of God
– 1 John 3:1, Matthew 6:8-9
In these texts, we see that God is acknowledged as Father. God is our Father. Oftentimes we have a distorted view of God based on our own experiences with our earthly father.
True Spirituality Is Built On The Principle of Relationship
Jesus boiled down the 613 commandments to two:
1. Love God
2. Love people
One of the most religious people to ever live was Paul. In Philippians 3:4, Paul outlined how he followed the law perfectly. He was full of zeal and legalistic. Yet, he counted all of that loss for the sake of Christ. Our spirituality must be based on our relationship with God, not on following all of the religious laws perfectly.