“If you look at the one factor that most closely correlates with crime…it’s the absence of the father…” Former Attorney General William Barr
- 25 million children come from fatherless homes.
- 63% of youth suicides come from fatherless homes.
- 71% of high school dropouts come from fatherless homes.
- 71% of pregnant teens come from fatherless homes.
- 85% of teens in prison come from a fatherless home.
- 85% of children with behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes
- 90% of homeless and runaway children come from fatherless homes
- “We have a fatherless issue in our society today.” – Elder Walter Gilstrap
1) God gave man Himself (Genesis 1:26)
God made man in His image. We can never be God, but we are to reflect him by our character, how we treat people, our integrity, and our actions. You should not have to tell someone you are a Christian. Your life should be evidence.
2) God gave man His word (Genesis 1:28)
The second thing God gave to man was his word. If you study and meditate on the word day and night you will change.
3) God gave man work (Genesis 2:15)
The Bible says if a man does not work he does not eat.
4) God gave man a woman. (Genesis 2:23)
A man is not ready for a woman if he does not have 1-3 in order.
The Gift of Choice
The first gift God gave man was the freedom to choose. And so man can choose to honor or not honor God.
Judges 2:7-12. This passage recounts the story of Joshua and the generation after him that did not know God.
“Know” in this case does not mean that they were not aware of God; it means they failed to acknowledge God, His grace towards them, and their responsibilities to God.
What about today?
Are we the same as the Israelites in Judges? Are we too busy to talk about the Lord to our children. The first thing we must do is spend quality time with him.
“Children and wives spell love “T-I-M-E”.” – Elder Walter Gilstrap
Romans 1:21 (NIV) – For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
We take created things and put it at the top of priorities list above God. One study showed that men of today seek three things: Money, Power, and Sex.
“When truth is rejected, the ability to receive truth is impaired.” – Elder Walter Gilstrap
As we make decisions in our lives today, we must understand that there are consequences. Fathers, you determine the atmosphere in your home. Have the courage to make the difficult decisions and honor God.